Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a common cause of infertility in women. The condition is triggered by the dysfunction of the ovaries and hormonal imbalances. Women with this condition have multiple cysts on their ovaries and are likely to experience:
- Anovulatory menstrual cycles
- Elevated levels of androgens
- Missing or irregular periods
According to CDC, the condition affects nearly 6 percent to 12 percent of the women in the US. If you have been diagnosed with PCOS, then relax; you’re not alone. Also, there are many ways proven to resolve PCOS, thereby restoring the normal functioning of the female reproductive system. This means that you can get pregnant and become a mom.
Acupuncture, herbs and supplements are many of the proven ways to manage PCOS in women and improve their fertility. As part of traditional Chinese medicine, doctors and practitioners rely considerably on all three to manage and alleviate PCOS in women of different ages.
Acupuncture for PCOS Explained
Acupuncture is a natural way of managing PCOS. The procedure involves inserting thin sterile and disposable needles to the targeted acupoints of the body to increase blood flow to the ovaries, much needed to reduce the number of ovarian cysts. We often use electro-acupuncture in our clinic.
This procedure primarily focuses on regulating hormones that control menstruation and ovulation due to their effects on the HPOA (Hypothalamus pituitary ovarian axis). When used correctly and in combination with TCM, acupuncture can benefit women with PCOS in the following ways:
- Restore regular ovulation, thereby increasing the chances of conceiving
- Decrease ovarian cysts and the size of ovaries which may otherwise increase because of the presence of cysts
- Control hyperglycemia, which is also common in women with PCOS, can cause obesity and insulin resistance. All this can also lower their fertility. However, acupuncture helps control hyperglycemia by regulating insulin and blood glucose, increasing insulin sensitivity.
- Regulate estrogen
- Reduce androgen and testosterone levels (male sex hormones)
- Improve the frequency of menstruation by nearly 38 percent
- Reduce cortisol levels
Furthermore, combined, TCM and acupuncture also help clear excess phlegm and dampness from female reproductive organs and uterus while facilitating natural ovulation. Sometimes dietary and lifestyle changes may also be advised to alter and restore internal factors much needed to normalize the hormones and increase fertility. We often see PCOS patients who have lean PCOS which means they are not overweight and do not have the classical presentation that regular PCOS patients have. All are treated differently in our clinic.
For more information about symptoms and Traditional Chinese Medicine for PCOS, schedule a consultation with Dr. Denise Wiesner today. She is the founder of Natural Healing & Acupuncture and has been treating women with PCOS and other conditions in West Los Angeles for more than three decades. She can help you achieve your conception goals. Book your appointment today.Share